Tuesday, November 16, 2010

9th November, 2010.

Initially, I hoped last week was a once-off failure, that maybe the head chef had come down with a bad case of cheese lung and needed a few days off.

Alas, it was not to be. Behold: Our cheese dips.
That isn't a trick of the light, it's visibly thinner than last week - The act of putting it down on the table was enough to cause dip to slop wildly over the edges. I've always thought cheesedip as a solid, but that is not certainly not the case here.

Unlike every other time I've been there, the dip did not get thicker as you got lower in the bowl. Maybe the room-temperature serving meant it couldn't thicken as it cooled, maybe they were experimenting with the laws of cheese to give us a more homogeneous meal. My theory is it there was no cheese to sink to the bottom of the mix.

Before I continue, here are some good points:
  • The chips were cheap, but enjoyable. no unusual lines, no different coloured ones just for the effect, no stale chips. Plain but effective
  • There was a decent amount of spice this time, which made a nice change. I couldn't taste cheese, but the spice helped fill the gap a little.

Now, back to the main event. Let my draw your eye to a very important point:
This is a new type of bowl. Far smaller than any bowl we've eaten from before.  The combination of the tiny bowl and thin dip led to an absolutely horrendous Chip-Dip imbalance. When we finished the dip, there was a huge overstock of remaining chips. I pay these people to deal with the chip-dip ratio so that I don't have to, but they've failed me.
Look at those damn chips, taunting me. I CANT EAT YOU, I HAVE NO MORE DIP TO MAKE YOU DELICOUS.

With all the angry brooding about cheese, I've completely forgotten what the tacos tasted like...so let's break it down into the usual summary:

Consistency: Watery. barely able to stick to the chip
Spiciness: not bad, actually. I'd be happy it they kept this level all the time.
Appearance: The dip itself looked okay, but the bowl left me scared and confused.
Temperature: Well, they haven't started keeping it in the fridge yet.
Flavour: Spicy tastiness, but little actual cheese
Chips: Cheap, wholesome, good. They have my approval.
Chip-to-dip-balance: will leave me traumatised for life.
Summary: They took last weeks dip, watered it down, and added spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment